- Privacy: turns out it’s important
- More social media hell; indie web offers hope
- Crypto crashes & blockchain stalls
- AI is now everywhere; so are the dangers
- The triumph of digital (except for VR & AR)
Every December going back to 2004, I’ve done an end-of-year review of the top Internet technology trends. As a source for this year’s review, I’m using the nearly fifty weekly columns I’ve written over the course of 2018. They’re a good indicator of what I’ve focused on during the year, and what has defined this year in terms of online technology.
Richard MacManus’ five points are: