- ‘Vocabulary 7-up’ is a simple vocabulary game that encourages pupils to record as many synonyms as they can for common words (seven ideally!).
- ‘Word Triplets’ offers students three words to choose from, or synonyms, so that we can begin to shape their apt vocabulary selections.
- ‘Said is dead’. The use of ‘said’ is part of the fabric of academic writing.
- ‘Simple >< Sophisticated’. Teachers can quickly and repeatedly model apt word choices, along with the movement from simple to sophisticated, and the reverse when it is needed.
- Word gradients. A common approach is to have pupils discuss and select from a range of word choices – debating their meaning and value for a given task.
Alex Quigley shares some activities to support students with making apt , including: