I wanted to take a moment to understand what some of the surplus data that is generated from me just reading my RSS feeds for about an hour in my Feedly web application:
- Subscribe To – Every time I subscribe to an RSS feed, this information is added to my profile use later.
- How Long – How much time I put into cultivating feeds is a default part of surplus data being generated.
- Click and Read – Everything I click on and read adds a layer of behavioral surplus to be extracted.
- Tag and Organize – Everything I tag and organize shares my approach to taxonomy and understanding.
- Share With Others – The tags I turn into feeds and share continue painting a picture of what matters.
When you take these behavioral data points and multiply them by a couple thousand feeds, and hundreds of thousands of individual blog posts, GitHub updates, and Tweets that I subscribe to via my Feedly, it can paint a pretty relevant, real-time portrait of what Kin Lane is thinking about.