If you are a newly appointed leader here are a six tips to help you wrestle the invisible beast:
- Spend time listening, seeking to understand the prevailing culture, “the way things are done around here”.
- Be a questionable person. Identify the things you don’t agree with in the culture and have the courage to lead a life that is in opposition to those things.
- Identify the crusaders, the nay-sayers and the influencers.
- Take care not to get sucked into the prevailing culture, it is very powerful and you will be subsumed into it if you don’t have the courage, or strength to resist.
- Develop strategies to change those aspects of the culture you don’t agree with, strategies to develop new norms.
- Once a new strategy or norm is established, commit.
The secret to fostering creativity lies in our approach to teaching. We have to stop trying to control the outcome.