A central challenge in addressing the sexual victimization of children is that the public is not comfortable facing the harrowing reality that strangers are unlikely perpetrators. Most acts of sexual violence against children occur in their own homes by people that those children trust.Page 110
When we see media stories about children who have been exploited or suffered abuse as a result of engaging with the online world – all parents shudder. These stories provoke our worst fears and elevate our concern about the dangers of the internet.
- Be inquisitive about your child’s digital life
- Be a part of your child’s digital life
- Model the behaviours you expect
This reminds me of a post from danah boyd discussing the fear of digital addiction. She suggests:
- Verbalize what you’re doing with your phone
- Create a household contract