- Children are ‘digital natives’ and know it all.
- Parents are ‘digital immigrants’ and don’t know anything.
- Time with media is time wasted compared with ‘real’ conversation or playing outside.
- Parents’ role is to monitor, restrict and ban because digital risks greatly outweigh digital opportunities.
- Children don’t care about their privacy online.
- Media literacy is THE answer to the problems of the digital age.
She then highlights many of the contradictions associated with these beliefs. Along with the work of Alexander Samuel, Anya Kamenetz, Erika Christakis, danah boyd and Doug Belshaw, they provide a useful point of conversation and reflection.
via Doug Belshaw