To help me establish a handful of new buckets, I’m thinking more critically about the different types of API functionality I’m coming across, establishing seven new buckets:
- General Data - You can get at data across the platform, users, and resources.
- Relative Data - You can get at data that is relative to a user, company, or specific account.
- Static Data - The data doesn’t change too often, and will always remain fairly constant.
- Evolving Data - The data changes on a regular basis, providing a reason to come back often.
- Historical Data - Provides access to historical data, going back an X number of. years.
- Service - The API is offered as a service, or is provided to extend a specific service.
- Algorithmic - The API provides some sort of algorithmic functionality like ML, or otherwise.